Plans & Publications
New Bedford has completed more concurrent planning in the past decade than at any other time in the City’s history, positioning the City to move a progressive agenda that addresses the critical components for achieving sustainable growth and responsible development.
In addition to the City Master Plan, New Bedford 2020, strategic planning has been completed for seven citywide initiatives and 12 targeted development districts, including new Transit Oriented Development Districts as part of South Coast Rail to Boston. These community driven planning efforts have proven successful in the resurgence of Downtown, historic mill redevelopment, and establishing New Bedford as a leader in creating a sustainable future.
Many of these initiatives have been completed in partnership with regional and state agencies, such as the Southeastern Regional Planning & Economic Development District and MassDevelopment; private foundations, such as the Garfield Foundation; and institutions of higher education, such as Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- A City Master Plan: New Bedford 2020
- Downtown New Bedford Market Assessment – October 2013
- Downtown Revitalization Study – 2009
- Downtown Action Plan – 2008
- Acushnet Avenue Market Place – 2010
- City of New Bedford Historic Mills Inventory – 2008
- Upper Harbor Development Plan
- Hicks-Logan-Sawyer Growth District
- South End Gate Way Concept Plan
- Brownfield Assessment
- Market and Economic Analysis – 2008